Visiting an Aquaponic Sustainable Farm
Aug23

Visiting an Aquaponic Sustainable Farm

Yesterday, Green Eatz joined a tour of Ouroboros Farms, organized by Sustainable San Mateo County. This aquaponic farm is located just off the Pacific Coast in Half Moon Bay, California and has a commitment to sustainably-grown foods and giving back to the community. Ouroboros Farms has a 30,000 gallon facility set in a greenhouse of 7,000 square feet and supplies greens to local restaurants such as Half Moon Bay Brewery and The...

Read More
Innovations in Food and Agriculture at FoodIT: Solution Harvest
Jul13

Innovations in Food and Agriculture at FoodIT: Solution Harvest

Yesterday, Green Eatz attended Food IT: Solution Harvest, organized by The Mixing Bowl. There were attendees from all over the world, from New Zealand, Australia, Finland and Italy, but I claim the prize for the shortest distance traveled – just 2 miles from my home to the event location at the Computer History Museum, Mountain View! The Mixing Bowl connects innovators in food, agriculture and information technology and Food IT:...

Read More
Visiting the Edible Schoolyard Berkeley
Jun29

Visiting the Edible Schoolyard Berkeley

Introduction The food activist Alice Waters was instrumental in creating the educational concept of involving children in growing and cooking food. The pilot project for her vision began at the Martin Luther King Middle School in Berkeley twenty years ago. Known as the Edible Schoolyard Berkeley, Green Eatz visited the site for a guided tour of the project garden and kitchen classroom, with the opportunity to ask questions. Visiting...

Read More
The True Cost of American Food
Apr18

The True Cost of American Food

Last Friday, Green Eatz attended the True Cost of American Food conference in the food-conscious city of San Francisco. The Sustainable Food Trust, a small, non-profit organization from Bristol, UK, brought together this gathering of the great and the good from the sustainable food world. Prince Charles – Sustainability Advocate Patrick Holden is not only a Welsh organic dairy farmer but also the CEO of Sustainable Food Trust and the...

Read More
Follow the Food Chain: Growing Crops
Apr04

Follow the Food Chain: Growing Crops

Making Sustainable Food Choices for a Greener Environment Where does your food come from? And how can you make the best choices for the sake of our planet? In our series Follow the Food Chain, Green Eatz examines the main sustainability issues for you to consider. Here, we discuss the first step of Growing Crops. Sign up for our newsletter for weekly notifications on Follow the Food Chain Land Use Growing crops, such as grains, fruits...

Read More
Food’s Water Footprint
Mar26

Food’s Water Footprint

You have heard of the carbon footprint…but what about the water footprint? We all use water every day to drink, cook, wash, flush and water the land. But just 5% of our daily water footprint is from use in home and garden. The food we eat, the stuff we buy, the things we do and the trips we take uses the other 95%. The average American uses 100 gallons per day at home, but indirectly consumes 2,000 gallons of water every day. Of that,...

Read More