A great vegan substitute for scrambled eggs that goes very nicely with Easy Baked Beans. Tofu can be a very bland food, but use smoked tofu for extra flavour.
- 150g firm tofu (smoked if possible)
- 4 spring onions
- handful button mushrooms
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- teaspoon turmeric
- Top and tail the spring onions and chop finely
- Finely chop the mushrooms
- Gently fry the onions and mushrooms in the oil
- Meanwhile, chop up the tofu and then mash with a fork
- Add the tofu to the frying pan
- Sprinkle the turmeric over the tofu and mix well
- Cook one side of the tofu for a few minutes
- Carefully turn over tofu and heat for a few more minutes
- Taste and add salt and pepper if required.
To add more spice to this dish, add a chopped chile or two and fry with the onions and mushrooms. You can also vary it with courgettes or red peppers.
Nutrition Fact – Tofu is made from soybeans which contain compounds known as phyto-oestrogens. Eating soybeans lowers overall cholesterol, reduces bad LDL cholesterol and increases good HDL cholesterol.