A versatile, healthy bean recipe that works well as a side-dish or main meal. You can probably whip it up in less than 15 minutes.
- 1 can mixed beans
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small red pepper
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 cup of mushrooms
- balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- Thinly slice the onion into rings
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan and add onions
- Chop the red pepper into small chunks and add to the pan
- Slice the celery stalk and add to pan
- Stir occasionally until the vegetables are beginning to soften
- Slice the mushrooms and add to pan
- Add a couple of generous splashes of balsamic vinegar
- Heat gently until the mushrooms are cooked
- Drain the can of beans, turn off heat and add to pan
- Stir well to mix ingredients and serve.
This is a very versatile recipe. The mixed beans can be replaced by any sort of beans such as cannellini, haricot or even chickpeas. And you can use lots of combinations of vegetables too, as long as you keep the onions and mushrooms in the basic recipe. Try it with green beans or courgettes instead of the celery, for a tasty option.