A tasty vegan soup with a healthy balance of carbs and protein.
- 1 brown onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 carrots
- 2 potatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup of red lentils
- 1/2 litre of hot water or vegetable stock
- Chop onion finely and fry gently with olive oil in a large saucepan
- Add pressed garlic and spices
- Chop carrots into small chunks and add to pan
- Peel potatoes, chop into small chunks and add to pan.
- Add red lentils and hot water or stock
- Simmer gently for around half an hour keeping an eye on liquid levels and adding as needed
- Check that lentils are mushy and that vegetables are soft
- Add sea salt and black pepper to taste
Serves 4 people as a starter or 2 as a filling meal. Enjoy!
Nutrition Fact: Stock cubes and powders often contain a lot of salt and yeast. For this recipe, the vegetable flavours are tasty enough without added stock cubes. Salt is bad for the environment as well as your health!